Teacher Education Office
The handbook for secondary certification is here, and the handbook for early childhood education, early childhood education with special education, and middle level education is here. The chair of the Education Department is Dr. Richard Fuller. The program coordinators are listed here.
Click here to view the requirements for admission into RMU. Transfer applicants to all these programs from other institutions and from other majors within RMU must have a 3.0 GPA in their college coursework from their current institution, submit three clearances and passing score results from the Basic Skills Exam.
Admission to the Education Program at RMU comes with candidacy, the first step in the Teacher Education Progress Process.
Live Text is the data managing system for ALL teacher education students who will be certified through a RMU teacher education program with the PA Dept. of Education (PDE). ALL data assessment points are uploaded into Live Text in order to evaluate the progress on each and every RMU teacher education student in coursework, dispositions, field experiences, pre-student teaching, and student teaching. The data is used for the student’s PDE certification and RMU mandatory reports issued to PDE, CAEP, and the federal government. Students purchase and activate a Live Text account their in their first education course.
RMU students have mandated PDE observation and exploration field experiences connected to specific coursework. During senior year, students have a pre-student teaching experience during the fall semester and a 15-week student teaching experience during the last semester. The Office of Teacher Education Field Experiences makes all placements in area schools. Students cannot self-place for field experiences, pre-student teaching or student teaching. All coursework must be completed before student teaching.
The teacher education program has a three-level process outlined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. As part of this Teacher Education Progress Process (TEPP), students must apply for candidacy, pre-student teaching, and student teaching.
An outline of this process is below. To view more details on the Teacher Education Progress Process for undergraduate students click here.
Students should apply before their junior year. To apply successfully, students must have:
- A minimum of 48 earned credits (You should apply before you earn 60 credits.)
- A 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Six credits of college level mathematics
- Three credits of coursework in English Composition
- Three credits of coursework in English or American Literature (Secondary Ed students) or Children’s Literature (Early Childhood or Middle Level students)
- Successful completion of Basic Skills Test with the minimum scores established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Act 34/Act 151 Clearances (must be renewed annually)
- Act 114 FBI Fingerprinting (must be continuously enrolled at RMU to remain valid)
- Two faculty recommendations
- Completion of Application for Admission to Candidacy Form and submission to your program coordinator
Students may then proceed into teacher certification coursework and pre-student teaching professional experience with Level One Candidacy.
Students must have:
- Attained candidacy
- A 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Completed all methods courses, pre-student teaching, and major courses
- Taken or registered to take the PRAXIS II Exam or other state required exam prior to the start of student teaching
- Renewed Act 34/Act 151 Clearances
- Taken a TB Test
- Proof of Liability Insurance – typically obtained through the local student chapters of Council of Exceptional Children (CEC) or Student PA State Education Association (S-PSEA)
- Completed the Student Teaching Application with program coordinator signature
Students will then be placed at a site for Student Teaching and will be permitted to register for Student Teaching.
Students must have:
- Successful completion of Level 2
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Successful completion of the PRAXIS II Exam or other state required exam (The cut-off score for each test must be at or above the current PDE established scores at the time a candidate applies for PA Teacher Certification)
- Successful completion of student teaching with a “pass” grade
- Successfully completed the Student Teaching Portfolio/Teacher Work Sample
- Completed application for graduation
- Completed electronic application for certification through the PDE
- Received the recommendation of the RMU Certification Officer
University recommendation to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for teacher certification will be made with Level Three completion.